Happy Holidays and Welcome Winter!
If you don’t know, I already have a post on how I got my skin to be clearer and combat adult acne (here). Check it out! This post is to let you guys know of new products I’ve been using and how I prep my face for flawless makeup application. Christmas is near, New Year’s not too far, and we need to have our makeup poppin’ for the holidays LOL.
Remember I have combo/oily skin. Winter is my fave for my skin because I’m less oily (on the face at least). Depending on how cold it gets, I may get some dry patches around the nose and mouth, but nothing too crazy. Here’s what I have been using lately:
- Cleanser – I have been using a gel, cream, or foam cleanser in the morning lately. I alternate depending on which is already in my shower. I have been using these: Burt Bee’s Cleansing Cream, Pacifica Sea Foam Complete Face Wash, and John Master’s Organics bearberry skin balancing face wash.
- Toner – I always have my Witch Hazel on hand, but I found this one at my local supermarket and since I love this brand, I had to try it. Really liking the Yes To Tomatoes Acne Clearing Facial Toner as of late.
- Moisturizer – I always use SPF, but I’ll mix it with something gel-based or lightweight. For days I know I’ll be out in the sun, I have been using Tarteguard 30 sunscreen lotion. For days when I’m in the office all day and not going out much, I’ll use Boots Botanics Shine Away Mattifying Day Cream SPF15. What I mix it with? Lately using either Alba Botanica Hawaiian Oil-Free Moisturizer, Refining Aloe & Green Tea or Andalou Naturals Oil-Free Moisturizer, Açai + White Tea. The Andalou one is lighter more gel-like than the Alba Botanica, but both feel great on my skin.
Night time Routine
- Cleanser – I prefer to use a daily exfoliating scrub. Lately I have been loving Jojoba Charcoal™ Facial Scrub from Michael Todd. I have used in the past Yes to Tomatoes Daily Pore Scrub and Yes to Grapefruit Daily Facial Scrub. Both are really good as well. If I don’t wear makeup, I usually stick to a gel-like cleanser. I am really liking the Kale Detox Deep Cleaning Face Wash.
- Toner – I just bought the Aloe + Willow Bark Pore Minimizer about a month ago and love it. It’s stronger than the other toners I use, but does not dry out the skin. It’s amazing!
- Moisturizer – I use oils for night. Just because my face is oily does not mean I cannot use oils. You have to use lightweight oils that will seep into your skin and not cause build up. Jojoba, Argan, and almond oils are great. If you’re a little dry, then coconut oil. I have been using an new product from Julep and really liking it as well as different serums:
Under eye creams – I don’t have a favorite yet, but I have been using these:
- Bobbi Brown is luxurious and I have only used samples that I get when I buy my BB cream at the Macys or Nordstrom counter. Never can get myself to buy the full bottle!
- Yes to Blueberry – I used this one at night time for the most part. It hydrating and nice, but I have not noticed a huge difference.
- Yes to Grapefruit – I have deep, dark circles and bought this to see if it would help. It’s hydrating and smells yummy (like Grapefruit) but I still have deep, dark circles.
Before applying makeup – I usually prep my skin the night before. I do my night time routine but add a mask. I like to use something that’s going to minimize my pores and cool down the skin. If I don’t have time or forget the night before. I usually do my night time routing and add the mask about an 1 hour prior to getting ready to apply my makeup.
- Yes To Grapefruit Pore Perfection Paper Mask – bought this pack once at Target. Really liked how hydrating it was.
- Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Mask, Pore-fecting Papaya Enzyme – I love this line. I think mostly because of the smell and ingredients!
- Pore Refine Deep Detox Mask – I like Pacifica and their new skincare products do not disappoint.
Removing applying makeup– This is the worst part of the day. It’s so frustrating especially when you take forever to do your best makeup and it still looks good. This step is necessary. In the past, whenever I was too lazy to remove my makeup, I notice I would get build up, pimples, and extremely oily skin. I cannot go to bed without at least using a makeup wipe. Here are the items I use:
- Yes to Cucumbers Eye Makeup Removing Pads – LOVE this!
- Love Your Bare Face Age-Defying Cleansing Oil – I always use an oil to remove makeup
- Soothing Cleansing Oil – I had to splurge on this. Really like how this one feels.
- Triple Action Cleansing Water – Bought the big one because of the pump and not disappointed. This is awesome to remove makeup.
- Makeup wipes – so many I have used! My favorites? Yesto (tried them all except the blueberry), Pacifica (love them all, you can find some at Target and Ulta), Acure (great for those with scent sensitivities).